With pregnancy comes a host of new concerns about what’s safe for your body and what might be detrimental to the health of your growing baby. Even things like your regular grooming and hair removal practices may come under scrutiny when you’re pregnant. Many of our patients who are pregnant or are thinking of becoming pregnant have questions about whether or not certain beauty treatments are safe during pregnancy. One of the most commonly asked-about treatments is laser hair removal.
Is Laser Hair Removal Safe During Pregnancy?
Research has not yet shown that it is unsafe to receive laser hair removal treatments while pregnant, though some recommend avoiding having laser hair removal on the abdomen and breast areas during pregnancy, especially if you plan to breastfeed your baby.
You should always consult with your maternity doctor before deciding to have any kind of cosmetic or medical treatment.
5 Factors About Laser Hair Removal to Consider When Pregnant
1. Laser hair removal uses laser radiation to produce intense heat that destroys unwanted hair at the root. The laser beams only penetrate a few millimeters into the skin and have been proven to have no negative effects on patients.
2. Laser hair removal procedures can be slightly painful for some people, so a numbing cream may be applied before the treatment. If you are pregnant, you may not want to use the numbing cream or certain topical pain relievers. Ask your doctor if topical numbing creams are safe to use during your pregnancy.
3. Your skin may become more sensitive during pregnancy, which could increase sensations of pain, redness, or irritation during and after laser hair removal.
4. Hormone changes associated with pregnancy can affect your hair growth patterns, regrowth time, and hair thickness, which may also affect the frequency and coverage area of future laser hair removal sessions.
5. Laser hair removal can become awkward or uncomfortable in the later stages of pregnancy, especially on sensitive breasts or the bikini area.
Should I Postpone My Laser Hair Removal Sessions When I Get Pregnant?
Postponing your already-scheduled laser hair removal sessions during your pregnancy isn’t absolutely necessary. However, if you have already started a series of laser hair removal treatments and then discover that you are pregnant, you may decide to postpone the rest of your sessions until post-delivery. If you feel more at ease re-scheduling your laser hair removal sessions until after you have your baby, you can always use alternative forms of hair removal during your pregnancy.
Ultimately, only you and your doctor can decide whether you are okay to continue laser hair removal treatments during your pregnancy. Talk with your doctor about your concerns, and ask if he or she feels it’s okay for you to continue to have laser hair removal services. If your maternity doctor has already cleared you to have laser hair removal, contact our office today to schedule your next appointment!